It seems like not to long ago I was writing about a posting message.
That was 2 years ago and back then I knew we would get a posting message in 2011. We got it this week.
Yes, we’re moving – we think – we’re not sure and here’s why.
My husband is posted to the Canadian Forces College in Toronto, Ontario to become a Directing Staff (DS) which for all us civvie folks that means instructor/teacher/lecturer.
Here are the questions we’re asking ourselves:
- Do we want, as a family to move from a town of 35,000 to a city of over 2 million?
- Do we want to uproot kid #1 who has only 2 more years of secondary school left?
- Do we want to uproot kid #2 who has only 2 more years of primary school left?
- Do we want to give up our extra-curricular activity of horseback riding, something we could not afford to do in a big city?
- Will I be able to re-establish my business in a big city?
- Are we able to afford the substantial rent increase (more than double) in a big city?
- Are we able to afford the substantial increase in car insurance (more than triple) in a big city?
- What will happen if we don’t move as a family and have Daddy only home on the weekends?
I hope to provide you with the answers to these questions, a dilemma that plagues military families all of the time.
If you’ve experienced this situation, please share your story in the comments. I’d love to hear your reasons for doing what you’ve done and how it all worked out for you.