When we arrived in Winnipeg in 2017, we knew we would be moving in 2019. We just did not know where or exactly when. In January we received a screening message. My husband was scheduled to do a tour abroad. It is an unaccompanied tour meaning the family does not travel with him. This is fine because the area is not safe for civilians.
Even though only my husband is being posted, the entire family had to go through the screening process to ensure there would be no outstanding medical reasons for which he would need to be repatriated early. We had to visit our family doctors and have the medical forms signed. This presented a challenge to our younger daughter who has a Manitoba health card but is attending school in Ontario. Fortunately, our doctor in Winnipeg is amazing. Because he had just seen our daughter over the Christmas holidays, he agreed to fill out the forms for her after he talked to her on the telephone. (If you want his name, contact me. He really is good and I will miss having an excellent family doctor!)
My husband and I had an appointment with the military social worker to confirm that we were comfortable with this particular posting. Then we talked to the military doctors to review our medical files, and the screening message was given the green light.
My husband still had to go through several more steps, including updating his first aid training, firearms testing, and several vaccinations updates including typhoid and rabies. Yes rabies. Apparently, there are lots of feral cats and dogs in the area where he will be living.
There is a condition to my husband going abroad for a full year. I requested – actually we requested – that I would be moved to Ottawa to be closer to the children. If anything happened to them while my husband was gone, it would be very difficult for me to help them from so far away. Additionally, if anything happened to me while he was gone, I have almost no support here in Winnipeg.
This proved true in February when my husband was in Ottawa on course and I ended up with a cold – a really bad cold that lasted almost three weeks! It didn’t help that I had to walk the dog at temperatures of -20ºC (-4ºF). A neighbour tried to walk the dog for me but he refused to leave the front step, “If mommy no go, I no go!”
Anyway, we are waiting for a posting message and we hope it comes soon so we can make our way to Ottawa and get settled before my husband goes abroad in July.
Wish us luck.